Unfortunately, we are dealing with another tragic terrorist attack in our world, this time in Paris. It is on the news, on-line, and being spoken about in public. Our children ARE hearing about this, and they do have questions.
Here are some tips to help our kids:
1) Limit access to TV and news on-line. Remember that many restaurants have TV’s.
2) Pay attention to how you are acting, and to what you are saying. Your kids are always watching you – so please show your strength and calm.
3) Be willing to talk with your kids, and answer all their questions.
4) Watch the language you use. Avoid big words (death, always, never). Use small words (hurt, sometimes, a few).
4) Share what Mr. Rogers advised: “In a scary time, look for the helpers. Because there are always helpers”.
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you just want to talk. If you are having a tough time with this, it is difficult to take care of our children. So please be sure to take care of yourself. When we fly, we are told to put our own gas mask on first, and then help our children. And please share your coping ideas here – let’s all work together to get through another tough time.Tags: kids, parenting, scary events, talking with children